Subscribe to our Newsletter
Repotting during shemitah
Is it permissible to put a plant in a new planter when the old planter broke?
Detached platforms during shemitah (2)
(1) During the shemitah year, do hydroponically grown crops need to grow in a "building" with a roof, walls, and a platform detaching is from the ground underneath?
(2) We want to build a hothouse that is a detached platform. How should I guide those constructing the hothouse (how high should the plants be above the ground, what is the thickness of the detaching material, which material should be used for the walls and roof, etc.). Thank you!
Educational gardens during shemitah (2)
In continuation to your previous answer on permissible actions during the shemitah year, I wanted to ask as follows:
- The students learn about the structure of plants. Is it possible to transport plants from place to place (both outside the classroom or from classroom to classroom) to explain it to them? Can I tear off leaves from the plant (please explain)?
- May I sprout beans? In which way is it permissible?
- As part of biology class, is it permissible to plant and cultivate a garden? Is it permissible to plant herbs in a garden? If not, is there a permissible alternative?
- Is it permissible, as part of the lesson, to bring plants into the classroom to study under a microscope?
- I would like to know if there is a booklet on gardening according to halachah during the shemitah year that is appropriate for school-aged children.
Heter mechirah at agricultural schools
Is it possible, and is it proper, to sell part of the area of the school's fields to a non-Jew, or, alternatively, to assign the responsibility to a non-Jew so the students can work the field at school during the upcoming shemitah year? We have non-Jewish teachers at our school.
Educational and community gardens during shemitah
Over the past few years, I have had the privilege to be involved in gardening as part of a community project and as part of a school project as a teacher of agriculture. What do I do next year during the shemitah year?!?! I planned on planting on a detached platform, but I saw on your website that it is only permissible for a major need and for educational purposes. I will explain about two of the projects I'm involved in and I would appreciate knowing if they are permissible, or which elements of them are:
- The community garden in a neighborhood in crisis. We have tried to set up a community garden for several years, with many ups and downs. Finally, this year, the project took off. It is an educational community project, which gives hope to the neighbors and solves many neighborhood problems.
- I am a teacher of agriculture. I teach various grades in a mixed religious and secular elementary school. We mostly plant seasonal vegetables, hoe, and cultivate many areas on the school grounds. We also have a hothouse. Is it permissible to do anything in this situation?
This is not a financial issue for me. The first case is a project that would otherwise be buried and will be very difficult to resuscitate if temporarily discontinued. The second gives to and educates children. I would like to hear the rationale involved in the answer.
Sprouting seeds indoors on a bed of wet cotton without soil as part of a biology lab class
Does the stringency to avoid planting during shemitah even in an unperforated planter apply to sprouting seeds indoors on a bed of wet cotton, without soil, as part of biology lab classes? The sprouted seeds are discarded after they sprout and do not continue to grow.
Detached platforms during shemitah
I am planting a small vegetable and herbs garden. In preparation for shemitah, I will prepare the patches on detached platforms. Is spreading a net against insects considered a roof? The plan is to spread nets above the patches, constructed like a hothouse. Thank you. I would also appreciate tips to prepare for shemitah so I can easily maintain my garden in a mehudar fashion.
Plants on a windowsill during shemitah
It is permissible to grow a plant on the windowsill during shemitah?
Kashering a Pot Used to Cook Teruma
I separated terumot and ma'aserot from my potatoes, and accidentally cooked the potatoes that I set aside. How do I kasher the pot?
Viduy and Bi’ur Ma’aserot
How do we fulfill in our days the Mitzva of Viduy and Bi'ur Ma'aserot?